hit tracker

2019 Annual Technical Report Issued by Abu Dhabi Department of Energy

  • Department of Energy
  • Department of Energy
  • Department of Energy

2019 Annual Technical Report Issued by Abu Dhabi Department of Energy

Forthe Water, Wastewater and Electricity Sectors in the Emirate. The sector generated 84,182 GWh of electricity, an increase of 1.4% on the previous year, while Abu Dhabi electricity generation assets had an available capacity of 16,622 MW. In general, thermal desalination accounted for 85% of the water production in Abu Dhabi while the remaining 15% was generated by seawater reverse osmosis (RO). The average recycled water produced was 822 MI per day with 57.5% reused predominantly for landscape irrigation purposes.

The Abu Dhabi Department of Energy (DoE) has issued the 2019 Annual Technical Report for Water, Wastewater and Electricity Sectors in Abu Dhabi, as part of its function as the regulating body, in charge of forcing development in the technical performance of the energy sector. The intention is to allow the sector to play its integral part in driving the energy transition with elevated effectivity and security of supply, while contributing to socio-economic boom and environmental sustainability.

The report aspects performance indicators for the water, electricity, and wastewater and recycled water, health, safety, and environment, exploring manufacturing rates and the developments that have transformed these sectors, as well as demand loads, transmission and distribution, and power grid performance in addition to figuring out licensees in every sector.

The report has been developed based on the regulatory reviews and documents submitted to DoE by the licensed companies working in every sector throughout the emirate over the course of previous year.

DoE Chairman His Excellency Eng. Awaidha Murshed Al Marar said: “The Abu Dhabi Department of Energy continues to lay the groundwork for the energy sector’s transformation, guided by the directives of the UAE’s wise leadership, and the nearby and national visions and techniques put forth to enhance the sector’s performance, make sure a sustainable supply, and play an energetic role in the monetary and social improvement of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, and the UAE as a whole.”

“Implementing governance and transparency principles in the administration of the energy sector is an essential instrument we can depend on to make sure success in the energy transformation plan we have set for Abu Dhabi,” H.E. added. “This report provides us an opportunity to go over what has already been carried out throughout more than a few sectors in the first year of the Department’s operations. It additionally provides a roadmap that highlights the factors we most want to focus on and enhance to proceed along our mission.”

For his part, the DoE’s Undersecretary H.E. Eng. Mohammed bin Jarsh Al Falasi asserted that the Abu Dhabi Department of Energy works in close collaboration with all companies working in the sector, functioning as one crew with one set of synchronised goals, in an effort to cement Abu Dhabi’s reputation as a leading international energy capital.

The Abu Dhabi Emirate’s international water demand in 2018 peaked at 828 MIGD (3.76 million cubic metre per day), due to population, monetary and industrial growth.

Abu Dhabi has 9 most important desalination plants which marked a complete gross production potential of 960 MIGD (4.36 million cubic metre per day) and produced a total of267,107 MIG(1,214 million cubic metre) in 2018, averaging732 MIGD(3.33 million cubic metre per day).

In general, thermal desalination accounted for 85% of the water production in Abu Dhabi while the remaining 15% was generated via seawater reverse osmosis (RO).

In terms of water quality measurement and evaluation throughout the desalination plants, a total of 57,249 tests have been carried out with 64water quality determinants examined for RO and fifty one for thermal desalinated water. The overall compliance with the sampling frequency measure (SFM) was 100%, while prescribed concentration or value (PCV) was 99.91%.

In the energy sector, the entire system demand peaked at 11,080 MW on 11 July, a 1.9% increase from previous year (10,876 MW). The same date additionally witnessed the best possible international demand for electricity (Abu Dhabi and exports) in 2018, attaining 15,125 MW – an increase of 2.3% in contrast to the last year (14,788).

According to the report, the sector generated 84,182 GWh, an increase of 1.4% on the last year, while Abu Dhabi power generation assets had an available potential of 16,622 MW.

In terms of manufacturing generation markets, there are 12 power suppliers with electricity generation market shares ranging from 0.3 percent up to 14% for 2018.

Natural Gas remained the predominant fuel type used inside the sector to generate electricity and produce water in Abu Dhabi. Both ADNOC and DEL persisted offering the sector with natural fuel during the year besides the need to burn any back-up-fuel. It is stated that both ADNOC and DEL have delivered around 819,922,319 BBTU of natural fuel to the sector, which is 0.9% much less than previous year.

The document says that the transmission network for transporting electricity from production organizations to distribution organizations consists of 994km of underground cables and 8,222km of overhead lines owned by TRANSCO, the sole licensee for electricity transmission in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. For distribution, ADDC and AADC own a total of 70,394km of cable and overhead lines in addition to 34,737 substations to distribute electricity to clients throughout the emirate. The complete number of electrical energy linked clients reached 531,951 by end of 2018 – 380,268 served by ADDC and 151,683 by AADC.

The 2018 System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI) and System Average Interruption Frequency Index (SAIFI) for both ADDC and AADC decreased by between 14% and 16% from the 2017 figures. This has been the biggest development since 2014 for ADDC and is attributed to company’s efforts in the previous few years on the rehabilitation of the network in Al Dhafra region. Similarly, for AADC, this has been the biggest development since 2013 and it is due to a significant discount in the impact of weather-related incidents.

As for wastewater and recycled water, the report cites three most important wastewater licensees in Abu Dhabi which includes Abu Dhabi Sewerage Services Company (ADSSC), Al Etihad Biwater Wastewater Company (EB), and Al Wathba Veolia Besix Wastewater Company (VeBes).

The record findings point out that Abu Dhabi has a series network of 8,447km, while the wastewater collected in 2018 was 311,858 MI averaging 855 MI per day. The emirate also has 39 sewage treatment plants operated by ADSSC with a complete ability of treating 1,298 MI per day of wastewater.

The average recycled water produced was 822 MI per day with 57.5% reused predominantly for landscape irrigation purposes. Recycled water quality compliance for 2018was99% in sanitary, 97%in microbiological and 97% in trace factors parameters. For biosolids, 48,670 dry tonnes have been one hundred percent transferred to landfill sites for disposal.

The Abu Dhabi Department of Energy is dedicated to teaching the public, as well as researchers, investors, and media outlets, about the standards and performance of the water, electricity, sanitation services, recycled water, health, safety, and environment sectors. With that in mind, the DoE has made the report available on its official website https://www.doe.gov.ae/.