A completely new phase of collaboration has been made between Abu Dhabi Department of Energy and the State Grid Cooperation of China

The Abu Dhabi Department of Energy (DoE) – Host Sponsor of the 24th World Energy Congress, taking place in Abu Dhabi on September 9-12, 2019 – has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC) at the DoE’s Pavilion at the event.

The agreement sets the stage for a strategic partnership between the two entities, one that seeks to support the energy sector in Abu Dhabi to transition towards more efficient consumption practices as the emirate expands its clean and renewable energy offering.

The MoU was signed between DoE Chairman His Excellency Eng. Awaidha Murshed Al Marar and Kou Wei, Executive Chairman of SGCC. The agreement outlines both parties’ respective roles in implementing the strategic partnership signed by the leaderships of the two countries in 2018, where the energy sector was a central theme, in addition to economic, commercial, and cultural cooperation, and collaboration to boost technological innovation.

The MoU provides the basis for future partnerships in which DoE operates in collaboration with companies owned by the State Grid Corporation of China and acts as a catalyst for the energy sector across the emirates. In turn, this foster promotes collaboration and the knowledge sharing of expertise, in line with initiatives launched in Abu Dhabi to encourage energy efficiency, innovation, and a strategic transform towards clean and renewable energy.

The agreement calls for collaboration in carrying out the feasibility studies in order to enhance the power system efficiency; development of clean energy installation to complement the current power grid; implementation of the gas-insulated underground cables and power lines; connecting the power grid to other emirates and countries around the region; improving the quality of the whole electrical grids; using district cooling systems; establish and enhance advanced infrastructure for metres; and offer training to develop skill sets among the workforce operating the electric grid.

Commenting on the MoU, H.E. Al Marar said that the Emirate of Abu Dhabi is focused on the development, effectiveness, economic and financial sustainability and supply security of an advanced energy sector. “Giving Abu Dhabi the capacity to attain its strategic ambitions and execute measures for industry transformation boosts strategic connections to global pioneers in the energy industry” H.E. said.

“Our strategy in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi relies on sustainable, science-based projects that empower us to fulfil our environmental commitments and ensure economic growth. Taking into account of the china’s huge achievements in terms of energy technology, we look forward to laying the foundation to this new partnership with the State Grid Corporation of China for further collaborations in the future,” stated the DoE Chairman.

Kou Wei, Executive Chairman, SGCC, Chinese State Grid Corporation, stated: “With the UAE’s strategic goals and ambitions for the energy sector on one hand, and China’s expertise and advanced technology on the other, there is always space for cooperation between the two countries to attain their common objectives. The MoU we have signed is a starting point for further joint initiatives and projects in the future.”

In recent years, trade and investment relations between the UAE and China have undergone considerable growth and have contributed to the strengthening of those bonds through the Mutual Official Visits between leaders of both countries. JinkoSolar Holding a Chinese company was one of two partners working with the government of Abu Dhabi on developing the Noor Abu Dhabi solar power plant, with 60% owned by the Abu Dhabi Government, while JinkoSolar, as well as Japanese company Marubeni Corp. Owned the other 40%

In effort to create 20% of china’s energy needs from non – fossil fuel sources by 2030, it was announced by Chinese National energy Administration to put in place a series of practices to promote clean energy, including large expenses for solar and wind farm.

89770

Comment

Plaintext

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type='1 A I'> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id='jump-*'> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id><p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.